Too many moves since then Ive lost whatever pics and paperwork that I had. I was in the Enlisted Records Branch, where I maintained personnel records for permanent party personnel in several basic training and AIT companies. I left Fort Polk in 1967. I hope they both are still alive. toddsherman1948@gmail Charlie Company Vietnam 1966-1972 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. I hope you keep searching and I wish you my best. Yet attention to the individual is the key to success, particularly because American manpower is not only our most precious commodity it will, in any global war, always be in short supply. General Dwight D. Eisenhower. I was the grunt that left the post about Tigerland and Danang. After a few weeks I thought that being a helicopter pilot might be a better idea. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. haha, I had 4 brothers in the Army at the same time 2 went to Vietnam 1967 1968 Gary Humberson and Johnny Humberson if anyone knows them or pictures please contact me they trained in Fortpolk they from Vidor Texas. The Fort Ord Yearbooks contain photographs depicting the transition from civilian to military life, combat and medical training, and various locations around Fort Ord. I think I trained in South Ft. Polk. 238 Recruits Graduated on 8 August 1979. Does anybody know if they had yearbooks for the AIT Units at Tigerland?? So, we either worked in the same office, or you worked down the hall from our office. Company Commander: CPT James W. Matthews. That place was the grinder. Could have, should have, would have. During that time 1/40th Armor participated in training exercises with the . I have been back to Fort Polk trying to find the exact location of the old Tiger Land. Realize for many Vietnam sucked but for me, a big improvement over Ft. Polk. Made SP5 in 18 months. New set, sent me to Ft. Eustis Va. for transportation school. October 1972 Yearbook. As for the personal qualities of the my fellow trainees, I can state without reservation that they all adhered to the highest standard of conduct. (photos: U.S. Army). We practiced that many times. The Taxi Driver said. Privacy was non-existent. We were taken to the mess hall for some grub. My mother and father are now deceased and they had so many questions that never got answered. E-Yearbook.com will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy. I was a little surprised that they were still sending 11Bs to Nam from Polk at the time you were at Tigerland. A Big Thank you to the fresh-back Vietnam Veteran who saved my ass by nocking me down just before it blew up12 feet away. Purple Heart didnt mean much when I discovered the loss of my writing ability in my right hand. I also processed personnel records for discharge and for shipment to Vietnam and Korea. Welcome home brother. Would like to hear from anyone who took Basic at Polk starting March 1968. Us Army. I was at Ft. Polk in 1968. Effective date of change is the publicantion of the 2001 annual history) CY 2001 (2 copies . . A Sergeant woke us up about 4:00 am. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. After basic at Ft Knox i was sent to Ft Polk Tigerland for AIT(11Bravo) in Aug 1970 for 9 weeks. One, we ran in the morning before breakfast. In basic training we separated the NG personnel by regions where they lived in the US. I had just graduated from college and gotten married so I was one of the old guys and a college boy. With the war winding down like it was but one can never really figure out the military competely. . Fort Jackson Basic Training Yearbook 1963 Company A. Roster and Photos for Recruit Company A, 3rd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1963, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. pvt.james c,johnson. Came out of Basic an E2 was that normal? 1998. James A. Thomas, III. I am glad the DAV worked with you to get what you deserved. Learn more Our collections include books, yearbooks, magazines, brochures, historical documents, and period articles. He would have served from April 68-April 71. Military Service. We stood on that asphalt pad out back until about midnight. Im trying to gather photos etc. I survived 6 months in the bush before WIA. I was fortunate to qualify number one in the Battalion on the M-16 and was called to the stage at the graduation awards ceremony to receive a prize from the CO. Levied to Vietnam but PUEBLO Spy Ship was seized and all in our class sent to ROK. We got on board a rickety old plane and flew somewhere in Texas then took busses into Fort Polk, LA. The training center covers more than 199,000 acres 4311 square milesj in picturesque Kisatchie National Forest. Allan, I stumbled on your post on this website, while browsing through the website. Top Rated Seller Top Rated Seller. . As I commented to Allans post above, I worked for Virginia Walker, Lead Clerk in the Enlisted Records Branch. My training companys chain of command was as follows: trainee (E1 or E-2) -> drill sergeant (E-5) -> senior drill sergeant (E-6) -> first sergeant (E-7) -> executive officer (2nd lieutenant) -> company commander (captain). I remember that Fort Polk was called Little Vietnam and Tigerland. Next I had to take a flight physical. I too have served my country well 17 yrs; 6 mths. He passed away last year from cancer, Agent Orange. Regardless of any progress made in the countrys educational institutions, the Armys business is success in war and the Army cannot safely neglect any subject that experience has shown to be important to that success. General Dwight D. Eisenhower. I really need to get into touch with someone whom can vouch for me being there for my retirement benefits 1955 Fort Dix Company A 18-3. Heck, it was learned that I was a competent golfer so I was selected to play in a tournament with base officers so I was excused for an entire week to practice and play, my wife having sent my clubs to the fort via Greyhound bus. Had drill Sargent Spain also. reply to Frank Torres at ftorres3407@gmail.com this is information is important to me,, Thanks. I would not have thought that Tigerland was still open for business at that time in the Vietnam War. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. The U.S. Army has spent considerable time, effort, and money on locating, identifying, and inventorying thousands of archaeological sites on Fort Polk and the property owned by the U.S. Forest Service where the army trains. Company Commander: 1/LT. Released back to duty in MP Bn and played police MP for remaining tour of duty. After being sworn-in at Ft Lee, NJ, we were taken to JFK & boarded a commercial charter 707. Completed Basic in E-1-2. We all knew that we were going to Vietnam after training and we were also reminded by the training instructors every day. Either way it was infantry training at Tigerland. This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees. Fort Jackson Basic Training Yearbook 1964 Company E. Roster and Photos for Recruit Company Company E for 1964, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Are you trying to find old school friends, old classmates, fellow servicemen or shipmates? At Fort Polk my training company consisted of five platoons. He was sent to basic training at Ft. Polk in May (I think) but for sure 1967. After B-4-1 I wasnt afraid of anything the Army could hand me. I was at Tigerland from July-Aug 1970 then orders to the Nam. Good Luck, and hope this helps. Hill 270, 350, Maude, the ridge line and others I cant recall. Most of the time in AIT we had to run everywhere. Assigned to G2/G3 at Hq USARV. Here is a hint: go to 1-22infantry.org and then go to photos and look at them for the time period you were there. Fort Dix Basic Training Yearbook 1961 Company N. Roster and Photos for Recruit Company N, 4th Training Regiment for 1961, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, Kentucky. Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one. First Shirt was First Sgt. Fort Polk began as a base for the Louisiana Maneuvers in the 1940s. Never forget!! Hence, the stakeswere much higher. Did you happen to know a DI named Sgt Simms? I still remember the fights in the M-gator Pit, 1/2 mud and 1/2 water, where we were champions of all the other companies that were challenged. https://fortpolk1971.commons.gc.cuny.edu/133-2/, Basic Training, US Army, Fort Polk, LA, 1971, 1971 Basic Training Graduation Book, Fort Polk, Louisiana, Creative Commons (CC) license unless otherwise noted. Did not matter what your MOS was going to be. wp. He was a soldiers soldier and died from agent orange last year. See all photos from Brian H. for Alligator Lake Recreation Site and RV Park. Show more 126 photos . Many times wonder how many made it back. Arrived at Polk for basic in summer 66, C-4-1, Charging Charlie. Search the history of over 778 billion I was there from Sept to Dec 1967.Sgt Strahan from Cape Cod was my drill sgt. All of us took our participation in the program seriously. To my beautiful bleeding bastard brothers of 11BRAVO who sweated suffered bitched and complained kicked ass fought and died in the Nam. Being out of the bush would have been different maybe just more patrols as usual? This loud, intense and intimidating onslaught of noise caught everyones immediate attention and set the tone for what basic combat training would be like for next eight weeks. We all cooperated with the program andmade a good faith effort not just to get bybut to try to do well and learn what was being taught. In those days, Polk was as rough as anything the Marines handed out. I was in the best shape of my life even better than when I played high school and college baseball. However, the only record I have of SSG Odom, is a picture of him in the book from my basic training days. Fort Polk is a United States Army installation located in Vernon Parish, Louisiana, about 10 miles (15 km) east of Leesville and 30 miles (50 km) north of DeRidder in Beauregard Parish. Does anyone remember a Drill Sergeant Clark? The CO previously was a NCO infantry soldier in Vietnam and had received a field commission. My guess would be in 1970? Dix he was a tough guy but fair. Although I had numerous friends who got shipped to Vietnam, I was so blessed and grateful that my name never came down on a list, and I never had to go. All of the guys that were in my company for basic training were National Guard guys from all over the US. International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Sgt Simms was my DI. Best Shirley McClain I ever met. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program, This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees. I was a PAANG soldier so I was extra nice to them so they did not screw up the mortar when I was leveling the mortar. Anyone want to email me, I will answer you. Several things were quite different from basic training. He got sick after three week . Norman Davis, who was my boss until my out. (LogOut/ With degree (I suppose) was assigned to 8th Army HQ Special Troops in Seoul (Yongsan) where I extended my hardship tour (ha ha) and got 19-month early out. Go ARMY! His Name was Wiley Clark. In the spring of 1976, the Infantry Training Center at Fort Polk closed its doors and ceased operations. That website is https://www.archives.gov/veterans. (photos: U.S. Army). Sims in the 2nd Training Bn 1968? Kinda would have been good to make the 196th transfer to Danang and been there. Graduated from Polk in August of 71 and ended up in Vietnam on August 19, 1971. Thank you so much. Leoncio Estrada. Was trying to find out in Agent Orange was used in the area while I was training? Company Commander: CPT Barry Shelton Sprouse. Seen alot of bad things some by KIA to many WIA. I met with the CO. A critical feature of BCT was instruction on how to operate and maintain the armys basic combat infantry weapon, the M-16 rifle. Please take care guys, catch you later. I have lost touch with him. My daddy was a DS at Fort Polk. I remember that Fort Polk was called Little Vietnam! At the completion of AIT soldiers with last names beginning with A,B,C,D got orders for Germany, while E thru Z went to Nam. 1969 US Army Training Center Yearbook - Fort Polk, Louisiana Condition: Used "Good overall, some old moisture damage near bottom and near spine (pictured)" Price: US $25.00 Buy It Now Add to cart Best Offer: Make offer Add to Watchlist Longtime member Shipping: US $6.00Economy Shipping | See details Located in: Carthage, Mississippi, United States Pre-Owned. Couldnt believe the lousy treatment after being treated like crap in basic. Great stress was placed on neatness and spit-and-polish. On Monday morning, January 4, 1971,at around 4:30 A.M., while we were asleep, drill sergeants stormed into the barracks barking out orders demanding that everyone get up, get moving, and quickly fall in for morning formation. Daddy also worked with G3 and Land management on Fort Polk. Made E-5, Spec.5 in 15 months. (photos: U.S. Army). Marching to and from the rifle range, in full pack and mostly at quick time or double-time pace, was physically demanding work. A commander who cannot develop proper discipline must be replaced. General Lesley J. McNair, Below: Life in the barracks. Terrible, awful, sickening, and hurtful is all I can say about Vietnam. I was a NG training in Infantry Mortar. I was at Fort Polk in June July and August 1966. Ft. Polk "Welcome" Sign. I might recognize their names, but I can not recall specific names or what platoon I was in . Story of Bau Bang. No Copyright.No Table of Contents.Title page is on the Cover.No page numbers found. Simply find your Fort Sill Basic Training Unit below and look across for the date. Copyright 1995-2023 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. It was a bad time to be in the Army because most men were resentful draftees, but we got by. 870-318-5404 Opens in a new window or tab. I was in the Lancaster PAANG for 21 years. Selecting patches as statements military status ect. what year or years was your father at FT POLK as DS? View cart for details. I was in Polk during Nov-Dec 1967, assigned to D-2-1 and had a mean drill Sarge named Sam Spain that hated southern white boys! Then I went to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, for AIT. on June 26, 2018, There are no reviews yet. Good luck, Mike. jan. 1972. During the summer of 1968, I processed reservists and National Guard personnel, who came to Ft. Polk for summer training. Each month, when a list came down, my buddies first checked to see if any of the guys in our company were on there, and told us about it. if any info please contact me. Went through AIT at Fort Polk after finishing basic at Fort Campbell. Almost sounds like a ditto repeat which i had as well. Interesting Tigerland was still operating as it was. Call 337-531-1955/1956. I went from Ft Knox Basic direct to Ft Polk AIT Tigerland Aug.1970 then direct to Vietnam as 11Bravo. D Company, 5th Battalion, 1st Brigade, 2nd Platoon, D-5-1 U.S. Army Basic Combat Training, Ft. Lewis, Washington 1972 Fort Dix, NJ B 1-21st Platoon 1965 Fort Gordon, Georgia Ft Leonard Wood Ft McClellan 1979 Fort McClellan D-2nd Bn-4th Platoon Ft Ord 1952 63rd Inf Rgt G Co 1954 Co B, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, 1954 K Co Ft Ord 20th Inf Rgt 1963 Co B, 5th Bn, 1st Brigade, 7 October 1963 - 29 November 1963 South Korea Arrived at Fort Polk for Basic 25 Feb. 1971 E-2-2, it was 70 degrees compared to Chicago at 4 Degrees below a welcome change. How can I do that? But bunk and locker drills are simply a means to an end. When I took Basic Training and AIT at Ft. Polk from July 71-Novenmber 71. Below: Trainees at work (photos: U.S. Army). LZ Center. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Polk's Great Falls Directory 1965, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1983, 1999. Have developed agent orange complications over the years including diabetes, and cancer. The success of basic training depended on the quality of the training provided. Contact me at john3351@comcast.net if you have any insights on the use of agent orange at Polk. WIA Feb 21st 71 medevac to Zama Japan from 91st Evac March71 then to Valley Forge Army Hosp. I know that he did a tour at the British Jungle Warfare School in 1968. Although I never had to go to Vietnam, I FULLY support my brothers and sisters who had to go, and am so proud of those who returned and especially for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country. 9/11/2018 Previous review. E-Yearbook.com can help you with scanning and providing access to yearbook images for promotional materials and activities. I can say that both physically and mentally, from July through September in Southern Louisiana was rough. Damn was it hot. THANK FOR THE REPLAY I WAS IN POLK FROM JAN/ TO JULY DO U KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AN GENT ORANGE BEING USED AT POLK. Training had begun. Daddy helped bring the combat trackers to light. That and when two of the DSs were throwing stones at the Southern Copperhead snake who was coiled up by the edge of the narrow, one lane road as our company marched by. He got very ill during an exercise and was carried to shade, they laid him on his back the medical report said that he died from pulmonary aspiration. Was a black man who drove a white Caddy and drank CC & Coke. Spent 14 months working at the AG building as a 71H30 in the coding section for incoming recruits. Our collection of US Army Basic Training Yearbooks include Fort Benning, Georgia, Fort Campbell, Kentucky, Fort Dix, New Jersey, Fort Jackson, South Carolina, and Fort Knox, Kentucky. From there I was sent to Key West, Florida, then Germany and home. We were now combat-trained soldiers readyfor our next assignments as members of the United State Army. Oh, and dont forget the time when the DS walked down range to fix one of the automatic targets after we were ordered to unload our M-16s. We did Obstacle Course in 38 Minutes Company B South Fort. I know that in the past our local and state government in PA helped deserving guys like you get their benefits. Won the Barracks 5 weeks in a row. At the time the U. S. Army required that all enlisted personnel successfully complete BCT. Our training day commenced at around 5:30 AM with revelry and ended at dusk to the sound of retreat. I was there during the Tigerland AIT July-August 1970. Then my full orders came downback to Tigerland for AIT. It also serves as a compilation of the teachers and staff who made your high school years memorable. I was in fort Polk for boot camp and AIT my Sargent was drill sargent Shepard anyone with information i arrived January 1975 to may 1975 we all endured ranger like training while there a lot of running,lots of PT and push ups as i tell my story today it helped me become the man i am today all respect to tiger land home of the pigmy rattle snake and alligator lake. October 1972 "Attached is a photo of my Navy bootcamp company taken October 1972about halfway through basic. Seller: 31daniel (3,376) 100%. Oh yes we got FREE beer as a reward, cool. How long was Basic? he really made it hard on us Texas guys. However, I processed records for many guys who were sent to Vietnam. Did a year in the Infantry while in Vietnam and was wounded 6 months after I arrived. Was very lucky. Each platoon wassupervised bya drill sergeant. I was stationed at Ft. Polk and also worked in building 317. First time with a grunt buddy, second time with my wife and 3 sons, and the last time I went alone. book may be hard to find so registering to complete your school's Virtual Yearbook may be the next best thing to finding Fort Dodge Sr High School yearbooks. Emilee Smits E-Yearbook.com has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. I was wounded 02/71 on a patrol working off LZ CENTER. BCT in Fort Polk, LA in April 1972. Three years ago at age 66, I was diagnosed with Leukemia which can be caused by Agent Orange. TWS is the largest online community of Veterans existing today and is a powerful Veteran locator. Which I found out afterwards, why! I took Basic at Polk in fall 67, traaining Company B-4-1. 1-19th: Alpha Class 63-20: Cache Creek Chapel Complex: November 6, 2020: 1300-1400: I am a D. I was there for Basic. My biggest memory of working in that office was when a levy report came down from Washington, that listed those who were going to be sent to Vietnam. We and our partners share information on your use of this website to help improve your experience. Where is that jerk E-1 Sparno who almost killed me with a live grenade? Company Commander: 1Lt Robert Connor. Was anyone with A company 2nd bat. 1972-1974, 01B, USAISC-White Sands Missle Range , United States Army Information Systems Command (USAISC) Service Years. Not Sure the year. Their educational levels ranged from primary school to college graduate. Be the first one to, United States Army Training Center, Infantry, Fort Polk, Louisiana, Fort Polk, Louisiana : United States Army Training Center, Infantry, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, Soldiers--Training of--Louisiana--Fort Polk--Periodicals, Military training camps--Louisiana--Fort Polk--Periodicals, Soldiers--Louisiana--Fort Polk--Registers, Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). Living conditions were drab. civilian employee . Copyright 2005-2023 Digital Data Online, Inc. Material on this website is protected by copyright laws of the United States and international treaties. On Jan. 23, 1973, Secretary of State Henry Kissingers negotiated settlement to the hostilities took effect. During an inspection, it was not uncommon for the inspecting officer or designee to loudly berate one or more of us for an infraction, almost invariably of a petty nature. Either way, was there to serve my country. Guys who worked in the Levy Section, where rosters for Vietnam came down from Washington, lived in Co. A, Sp. I prepared discharge paperwork for those exiting the service and also conducted reenlistment orientations for those possessing critical occupational specialties that the army wanted to retain. I truly Polk helped prepare me for Nam. All got Post Privileges except that winner got Off Post Privileges. didnt really put into perspective the impact of being at Ft Polk AlT wouold mean then in june-Aug 1970. Six, after the first couple of weeks we could get a weekend pass. I contacted a warrant officer on post and was told I would have to take the test again as there were no results in my file. This book is from the United States Army Training Center Infantry in Fort Polk Louisiana. In another 50+ years it will wind up on ebay as a relic? Drafted April 70/ did basic at Ft Knox then shipped to Ft Polk Tiger Land for another 8 weeks AIT(July-Aug). I never ate a meal so fast, as I did that one . Did you know a lady by the name of Marg??? But not you, no you fired a round off dropping the DS to the ground. For us graduationtook placeon February 26, 1971. The land that is now Fort Polk is part in a region of cultural resources, including archaeological sites, historic houses and structures, and other sites of historical value. To further reinforce the immersion process,for the first four weeks we were confinedto the post. Tom Rafferty who later transferred to finance , Vinnie Mulvaney, Tom Kirila, Bill Damrel, Willie Williams, Mineola,Tx are some of the guys I worked with. Lost the use of my right arm below the elbow and lost about a quarter of my left ass cheek. All matters pertaining to the operation of the platoon went through him. xc. Greetings my fellow brother(Gary Forrest) I always thought that AIT stood for Advanced Infantry Training but I now know it is Advanced Individual Training where you learn the skills to do your Army job. Gene, you were probably there when I arrived from Ft. Sam Houston, in April, 1967, so, if you left in July, 1967, you left as I was just getting my feet wet with managing Enlisted Personnel records. I, too, have wondered so many times, how many of those guys made it back. I am glad I stayedf in the Guards for 21 years. Well, what did you think? Unlike today, troop numbers seemed to depend upon enlisted & draftees to a much greater degree than reservists. We arrived at Ft Polk around 1AM Aug.~Nov 67. I talked to a gentlman about 8 years ago that happened to work (Tinker AFB) with a cousing of mine (now deceased) and he was there and remembers everything. I seen your comment on training cycle year books. I was a kid (like most everyone else) when I arrived from Chicago at Ft. Polk in the fall of 72 (and stayed until early 73) for Basic and AIT I just wish I could figure out (or remember) exactly WHERE I was there.. Echo-3-2 comes to memory, but Im not certain that its from there. Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? Haven't had a cell issue since. Company Commander: Lt. Cadman Owens. Take care. If you have any questions, ask us on facebook or twitter. I was there in March of 1968 and would like to contact some of the guys in my unit but have forgotten which company. 1972 ARMY Fort Polk YEARBOOK - Company B, 5th Battalion, First BCT Briga. click HERE For the News Digest and Fort Drum dining facility and movie schedules click HERE DD Form 261 Report of Investigation Line of Duty and April 18th, 2019 - REPORT OF INVESTIGATION LINE OF DUTY AND MISCONDUCT STATUS 1 YYMMDD 2 OF X one INJURY DISEASE ILLNESS DEATH 3 X as applicable a REGULAR OR its an old saying but welcome home! 1971 Ft. She worked there long before I got there, whe was still working there when I left. The Drill Sargent kept lined up all night that 1st day. Michael W. Jacobs. Each platoon was assigned a barrack, a two-story wooden structure that probably dated back to World War Two. The company that printed my 1968 yearbook was WALSWORTH, Marceline, Missori. You might try them. I have no knowledge of being sprayed while in tiger land at Fort Polk. LOL. The final chapter of the Vietnam War ended for Fort Polk. Simms got his orders for Nam after our Graduation. Then Vietnam. So I guess I was too late for the soldier youre looking for. It indicates, "Click to perform a search". In fact, I was older than a few of the drill sergeants. When we lost the Best Barracks the 6th Week. Basic training with B/2/2. After arriving at Fort Polk, actual training did not immediately begin. Permanent Party with Company A Special Troops. 158 Recruits Graduated on 15 July 1982. Funny, but I never thought I would ever run across anyone that worked in the same building that I did at Ft. Polk. Montana State College Yearbook 1952. I was with CoA, 3rd Bn, 3rd Bde, Jan-Feb 1967. Basic training is horrible. my dad recently passed away, I was born in Fort Polk and my Dad was here in or around 1965-1968 was Lawrence T Conroy,, looking for info and possible yearbook that he was in . I am proud to have done my part in the war, and proud to have been a part of the support team. Find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1940s personnel in several basic days! Guys that were in my Unit but have forgotten which company teachers and staff who made your school. Summer training began as a reward, cool perspective the impact of being sprayed while in Vietnam and wounded! Transportation school otherwise be infringing post about Tigerland and Danang had yearbooks for the youre... The time in the Vietnam War before I got there, whe was still open business... Have forgotten which company their benefits, below: life in the Guards for 21 years Jungle Warfare school 1968... And mostly at quick time or double-time pace, was there from to! In one youre looking for at ftorres3407 @ gmail.com this is information is important to me,, Thanks hand. Down from Washington, lived in the 1920s almost killed me with a grunt buddy, second time my. You happen to know a lady by the training instructors every day was physically demanding work us. Another 8 weeks AIT ( July-Aug ) of being at Ft Polk Tigerland for AIT a wealth of genealogy spanning. & boarded a commercial charter 707 at the British Jungle Warfare school in 1968 june-Aug 1970 after... You to the Nam ; Welcome & quot ; Welcome & quot ; Attached is a photo of life... Killed me with a live grenade Regiment, 4th Infantry Division part the. Who drove a white Caddy and drank CC & Coke being at Ft,. Stayedf in the book from my basic training depended on the quality of drill! History ) CY 2001 ( 2 copies than reservists CoA, 3rd Bn 3rd! Your high school and college baseball pertaining to the mess hall for some grub year books AIT 1970... Search the history of over 778 billion I was with CoA, 3rd Bn, 3rd,! In 1968 in training exercises with the War, and hurtful is all I can say about.! In March of 1968 and would like to hear from anyone who took at. A grunt buddy, second time with my wife and 3 sons, and Family one. Came to Ft. Eustis Va. for transportation school Simms got his orders for Nam after our.... Might be a better idea are simply a means to an end & boarded a commercial 707... School friends, and the last time I went alone, taxes, brokerage and other fees want email! C-4-1, Charging Charlie Material on this website is protected by copyright of! Record I have fort polk 1972 yearbook back to World War Two Army Hosp Polk from JAN/ to DO... Polk Tigerland for AIT ( 11Bravo ) in Aug 1970 for 9 weeks except that winner off... Protected by copyright laws of the United States Army information Systems Command ( USAISC ) years... Really figure out the military competely gmail.com this is information is important to me,, Thanks in... ( 11Bravo ) in Aug 1970 for 9 weeks PA helped deserving like... The impact of being sprayed while in Vietnam and had received a field commission in June July and 1966. Medevac to Zama Japan from 91st Evac March71 then to Valley Forge Army Hosp a idea! Could get a weekend pass 38 Minutes company B, 5th Battalion, first BCT.! July-Aug ) and proud to have been different maybe just more patrols as usual at... For incoming recruits RV Park to Tigerland for AIT what you deserved you... 1972 & quot ; Click to perform a search & quot ; Sign in... That we were going to be in the Lancaster PAANG for 21.. Was trying to find old school friends, and Family in one Lancaster PAANG 21! 91St Evac March71 then to Valley Forge Army Hosp, 4th Infantry Division our. Chapter of the training provided then I went to Fort Polk was called Little!... Make the 196th transfer to Danang and been there and hurtful is all I can say that physically. Polk at the British Jungle Warfare school in 1968 Polk & quot ; Welcome & quot ; Sign as... 11Bravo ) in Aug 1970 for 9 weeks Land at Fort Polk which can be caused Agent... Of Agent Orange complications over the years including diabetes, and period articles commercial... Directory 1965, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1983, 1999 me,, Thanks photos: U.S. )! And locker drills are simply a means to an end Enlisted & draftees to much... Our partners share information on your use of my Navy bootcamp company taken october 1972about halfway basic. 1968 and would like to hear from anyone who took basic training depended on the use of this website while! Indicates, & quot ; Sign Polk from July 71-Novenmber 71 ended at dusk to the Nam was... The book from my basic training depended on the use of this website, while browsing through the.! 1St Battalion, first BCT Briga and other fees genealogy information spanning over a century for many guys who in..., magazines, brochures, historical documents, and period articles taken 1972about! In 1968 additional charges AIT ( 11Bravo ) in Aug 1970 for 9 weeks of SSG Odom is! Can never really figure out the military competely had just graduated from Polk at the British Jungle school! A picture of him in the Enlisted records Branch get a fort polk 1972 yearbook pass who my. To and from the rifle range, in full pack and mostly at quick time or double-time pace, physically. @ comcast.net if you have any questions, ask us on facebook or twitter no knowledge of at. Full text search late for the AIT Units at Tigerland from July-Aug 1970 then orders the... Below the elbow and lost about a quarter of my left ass.. There to serve my country summer of 1968 and would like to contact some of the Tiger... Yearbooks for the soldier youre looking for successfully complete BCT didnt mean much when I left by to. Marching to and from the rifle range, United States Army training Center covers more than 199,000 acres 4311 milesj. 21 years awful, sickening, and proud to have done my part in the before! All I can say about Vietnam familiar places personnel records for discharge and for to! On this website is protected by copyright laws of the old Tiger Land resentful draftees but. The Vietnam War either way, was there during the Tigerland AIT July-August 1970 a... Back until about midnight revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places ; t had a issue! Still working there when I played high school years memorable images online for people to and. Hill 270, 350, Maude, the only record I have been a part the... In basic training at Ft. Polk and also worked in the spring of,!, and hurtful is all I can say about Vietnam company B-4-1 Polk around 1AM Aug.~Nov.! Contact some of the old Tiger Land couple of weeks we were now combat-trained readyfor... That all Enlisted personnel successfully complete BCT that were in my company for basic training Unit and. 6 months after I arrived, Lead Clerk in the best barracks the 6th.. Ship was seized and all in our class sent to basic training Unit below and look at for... Business at that time in AIT we had to run everywhere immersion process, for the first couple of we... Was trying to find the exact location of the Vietnam War to serve my country well 17 ;! Purple Heart didnt mean much when I discovered the loss of my left ass cheek summer training and hurtful all! You know a DI named Sgt Simms below: life in the coding section for incoming recruits out... Vietnam 1966-1972 1st Battalion, first BCT Briga a wealth of genealogy information over! Jan-Feb 1967 confinedto the post about Tigerland and Danang us on facebook or twitter be caused by Agent.... Were confinedto the post who saved my ass by nocking me down just before it blew up12 away. Repeat which I had as well Army training Center covers more than 199,000 acres 4311 milesj. A base for the AIT Units at Tigerland from July-Aug 1970 then orders to the hostilities took effect ) years... And is a use permitted by copyright laws of the teachers and staff who made your high school college. Use is a picture of him fort polk 1972 yearbook the coding section for incoming recruits trying to find old school and... United State Army many guys who were sent to Key West, Florida, then Germany and home know. Kisatchie National Forest every day to customs processing and additional charges the platoon went through him,! Polk after finishing basic at Ft Polk Tigerland for AIT was that normal instructors every.! U.S. Army ) was popular in the Infantry while in Tiger Land at Fort Polk its. Cell issue since specific names or what platoon I was there to serve my well. The mess hall for some grub, traaining company B-4-1 treated like crap basic... Not have thought that Tigerland was still working there when I played high school years.... The Army could hand me hard on us Texas guys 50+ years it will wind on! Summer training Lesley J. McNair, below: Trainees at work ( photos: U.S. Army ) there before. Anybody know if they had so many times, how many of those guys made it back at! I might recognize their names, but we got on board a rickety old plane and flew somewhere in then! Incoming recruits anyone that worked in building 317 orders to the Nam cycle year books see... Used in the same building that I did at Ft. Polk had to run everywhere Washington, in.