The additional power is delivered more smoothly than ever before due to the ultralight piston technology. I've read about some twin cams going for 100K+ without rebuilds, but I think that the correct answer to the question of life expectancy is about 60 years. The Twin Cam 88engine passes an unbreakable message about hanging on to whats proper and being faithful to what fulfills, from the iconic edge of the coolant to the intricate designs of the casings and coverings. We've ridden for years and won't stop. These plastic shavings got into the engine oil, got sucked up by the oil pump, and then blocked oil passages and damage the oil pump. For noise reduction, the cam drive is designed based on a silent chain model. Dyna TC88 Digital Performance Ignition for 1995-2003 Harley-Davidson Twin Cam Carb Models (Programmable) SKU. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces as standard power for many of these models. The Fuel Moto 98" Big Bore is a complete kit with the highest quality components all of which have been extensively tested in house both on the dyno as well as in real world conditions. Another thing is, if the upgrade is installed by dealers, the original warranty will stay in place. Its rugged looks, along with its customizations, make it a must-have for Harley riders. In the most extreme circumstances, metal-to-metal interaction will eventually occur, resulting in metal wearing and potentially fatal and dangerousmechanicalfailures. There's no doubt that cruise control would be nice to have, and opinions differ on ABS and linked brakes. Harley-Davidson is one of the oldest motorcycle companies and has a very loyal fan base. How many miles can you get out of a twin cam 88? Sources: Top Speed, USA Today, Motorcyclist Online, Harley-Davidson, and NADA Guides. The increased compression range goes from 9.2:1 to 9.6:1 which allows for greater speeds. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". I've got an 06 that had its first 35k worth of maintenance done by the dealership, and its by far the worst bike I've ever owned. There are 88-ci (1450 cc), 96-ci (1584 cc), 103-ci (1690cc) and 110-ci (1801 cc) versions available in the current market. Some factors were working against it, such as the two horsepower loss soaked up the balance shafts and an extra 14-lb of weight to carry. The Knucklehead, Flathead, Shovelhead, Panhead, Twin Cam 88, Evolution, and Twin Cam 96TM engines have all advanced, but the heritage of the Knucklehead, Flathead, Shovelhead, Panhead, Twin Cam 88, Evolution, and Twin Cam 96TM engines has not. This bike comes with many features according to Top Speed: a six-gallon fuel tank, an anti-lock braking system, and cruise control. This is true Harley-Davidson flair throughout, with a meticulousness that no other bike brand can match. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. I've always been fascinated with cars and tools accessories. An exceptional high performance street port for 95" Twin Cam engines. Twin Cam 96 cubic inches vs. Twin Cam 88 cubic inches. When you rest on the bike a bit, you want to have a drive that roars, not cries for pity. Harley attempted to resolve these issues with the Twin Cam 88 in 2003 and included improved breathers for better efficiency. Those that got their bikes to the dealer or any Harley dealer had to leave the bike, then the dealer sent the engine back to Harley Davidson, it was replaced with a new engine. The hydraulic nature of the tensioner placed less tension when at lower RPMs, and a lighter preload was placed on the chain. It is a metal gem crafted by hand. However, while it has 146 miles of city-riding range, it'll only manage 80-ish miles on the highway. The 998cc engine from the XR-1000 was an extension of the engine that became a blast from the past. 99. During these years, many sought replacements of the cam system by Harley-Davidson, but with the already built-in culture of aftermarket upgrades, Harley did not recall the TC 88 for these issues considering it only a wear issue. Harley-Davidson has built some of the best and most legendary motorcycles of all time but they've also made some models that are best avoided. 3.7 out of 5 stars 33. The Harley Davidson motorcycle engine produces 80 horsepower with a displacement at 88 cubic inches which is 1,450cc. The twin-cam engines have 4 stroke camshafts. You can call me gearheads or petrolheads. Nothing beats the thrill of taking a tight corner on two wheels. Harley Davidson 's sense of beating is born from a flywheel. Released in September 1998 for the model year 1999, twin-cam 88 is one of the top class engines Harley-Davidson ever provided, twin-cam 88 engines are one of the most reliable motors one can ever have. It may cause the pistons and crankshaft to recoil backward producing a backfire. We vouch for this because it directly deals with the problem head-on. Bikes originally equipped with Twin Cam 88 engines can upgrade to 95 or 103CI displacement, and Twin Cam 96-equipped models can be repowered with 103 or 110CI . Other than that, it all depends on who did the 5,000 mile service interval. Just picked this girl up. Another mastery by the Custom Vehicles Operations crew at Harley, the 2012 CVO Softail Convertible is a limited-production motorcycle that comes with a powerful V-Twin engine. At this point, most of the early pre-2007 Twin Cam Harleys have the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade installed, and therefore should be perfectly fine to purchase. Qty-+ Add to Cart. One other trick you can apply is to use higher-quality oils for running your bike. So even though youre still spending on costly oils, you still have a less expensive option than opting for a total overhauling of the gear drive. The new models also offer bearingless bushing style cams which eliminated the chain tension problems created by worn cam-plate bearings. A friend of mine has 99 wide glide with 175k on it. The bike proved its durability on the market. Cam tensioners can do worse if you dont check them by then. These problems can be costly and difficult to repair. The original problems with the 1999 Twin Cam 88" Fatheads were all known by Harley Davidson. General Motorcycle NON-TECHNICAL Discussion, The only thing better than riding, is riding with friends, Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both., The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, http://www.firebladezone.com/lucassen.php?nommenu=Sjaak Lucassen, Harley Davidson Evolution and Twin Cam Touring, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. First, spring-loaded chain tensioners were used from 1999-2006 versions. This last change was vital because it helped meet the EPA standards of noise reduction. The high mileage of Harley motorcycles depends on their types. For these, despite the availability of modern versions of this engine, a good number of riders still use twin cam 88. But it must get past 200k miles if it is taken care of well because it is designed for that. S&S 95 in. There are several flaws in Twin Cam engines. Even today, if purchasing a used Harley-Davidson from the early part of the millennium like a Dyna Sport or Road King, you just have to know this is something you check for: is the tensioner upgraded or not? 1/8" oversize pistons feature ArmorGlide skirt coating, a high-tech lubricant that reduces friction and allows the piston to be fitted tighter within the bore allowing a better ring seal and reduced noise from piston rock. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Good warranties helped some people, but most were left to fend for themselves. If not, then you might want to look for a different Twin Cam year to avoid this potential issue. just finished the 10,000 a couple of months ago. This motor can run to their expectation of longevity. After reinventing their Twin Cam engine, Harley-Davidson was able to convert on the opportunity to redesign the Road King with a 1690cc engine and six-speed transmission. Although they've subsequently been replaced by a more modern version of the same read more Reliability was a priority for Harley. WulfMoto.com is a participant in the Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program, and as an Amazon Associate, WulfMoto.com earns from qualifying purchases. TCs are plenty reliable as long as they're maintained. In case anyone suspects any kind of damage in the motor, a compression test must be done before disassembling. The twin cam 88 is an air-cooled engine, and it uses an overhead valve that is activated by pushrods. Theres no denying the Twin Cam 103TM engines origins when you look at it. So if the only thing gained was power, the TC is a total fail. The gear drive kit replaces the nylon ramps and related chains (which need to be replaced every 40 to 50,000kms in the TC88) in the cam case. The bike could be customized to ride in two-up cruising, all-day touring, or solo cruising. I'm wondering what kind of mileage accumulation members are seeing on their older twin cam engines and what kind of mechanical issues I should expect going forward. This bike is one of the best ever made by Harley. When the plastic tension follower disintegrated, the plastic pieces could gum up the oil tubes and restrict oil flow. Twin cam 88, the 1450 cc Harley engine, was a breakthrough in the history of motorcycles. Harley Davidson introduced the Twin Cam engine in 1999, and it quickly became their most popular engine. It's definitely a problem in the 88s. Intended use with cams in the .550"-.600" lift range. Few bikes can match the Fat Bob's raw presence and power, which will make you feel like you're sitting on top of a wild hog. Overall, Harley Davidson twin cam 88 reliability is beyond question. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". 2003 2006: Improved But Suspect Years of the Twin Cam, 2007 2009: Good Years for the Twin Cam 96, Of course, not every engine is perfect, and the Twin Cam 96 had some piston recoil issues with smoke blowing out of the air filter. You DO need cruise though, brother. Higher quality oils are truly helpful in lengthening the destruction and wearing of your bikes engines. At this point, avoiding those years would be advisable unless a modification has been made. After upgrading to a hydraulic cam tensioner, upgrading to a higher quality oil will protect your investment and help eliminate future cam issues. Its all in how you take care of your bike. All rights reserved. The air-cooled Twin Cam 88 Harley-Davidson motor produces greater stump-pulling power, and its Electronic Port Fuel Injection design provides a crisp, energetic throttle response. And traveling at a slower speed couldnt have been more relaxing. The Timken bearings in the original Twin Cams are graded to help the sprocket shaft continue for over 500,000 miles. Harley-Davidson was changing directions completely. 2003 - 2006: High Crank Runout. According to Nada Guides, the bike sells in good condition for $8,400. Harley gives you a warranty of two years. It provides a rebellious look while it offers comfortable seating for fit riders. Pistons here are cast aluminum. How long does a Harley-Davidson engine last? One way to combat the Harley Davidson twin cam 88 engine issues is a total overhauling of its gear drive. Best Value For Money. I've 4 or 5 friends who ride Twin Cam with more then 100000 kms on it. The Milwaukee Eight 4 valve engine is extremely difficult to exceed the two valve twin cam filling efficiency unless you change the side draft port layout. i asked a machinist friend, if he could fix my co-workers 2003 (exploded) twin cam Anniversary Somethin Glide. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The year 2006 was a transitory year in terms of complying with twin cam 88 specifications. Haven't heard much on the 96" & 103's . This engine allows greater horsepower. Your email address will not be published. I recently started a blog about welding gear.I am also a DIY welding enthusiast because it is affordable for any household work. This caused the Twin Cam to gradually lose oil pressure and eventually caused the engine to seize if left untreated. These, though, were small potatoes. Most Harley riders are still looking for answers any way they can get them. Best Cam for Harley 103 - S&S Cycle HP 103 or S&S Cycle MR103. The FXSTB is not a fast bike but it's built to be customized by its owner. The fundamental issue with the Harley-Davidson Twin Cam engine is most likely a design flaw in itscam chain structure. Twin Cam Black Big Bore Kit for Harley Davidson 1999-2006 Twin Cam. If its checked and changed then it is great in the long run. This decision greatly increased assembly speed and drastically lowered cost, but it led to a lot of problems down the road for riders that mod their Twin Cam engines for more power. . Types of Twin Cam Harley Davidson Engines. I took the bike in for service (Harley Dealer) and was told that the compensation socket has large nut that holds it and it had worked itself loose. I don't know how you live without it. Required fields are marked *. There are a few Twim Cam years that you may want to avoid. Aside from bikes, Harley Davidson offers other products to assist you in your bike needs. It also arrives at a slower cruising speed, resulting in a smoother ride, reduced engine noise, and improved motorway fuel economy. It also seems to happen to stage 2 and stage 3 Twin Cam engines, as the extra HP and torque from the performance upgrades make the high runout problem worse. In 2003, Harley Davidson decided to cut production costs and changed the bulletproof Timken cam bearings to pressed-in roller bearings and a pressed crankshaft. 2010 2016: The Best Years for the Twin Cam 103. concerning the heat coming off this engine, most are completely satisfied. So 2003 2006 saw minor improvements to the cam system, but not a complete overhaul. Too many people treat it as an oil and filter change. IT TAKES MORE THAN SPENDING 20 GRAND AND RIDING 200 MILES TO MAKE ONE A BIKER, Read a magazine report of an E-Glide owner with over 250K on the odom. I also replaced the cams and bearings, I now have over 145,000 miles and still running strong. Premium Choice. The VRSCE2 V-Rod is a limited edition Harley motorcycle that comes with additional modifications and features. In 2010, the Twin Cam 103 was released to a power-hungry market looking for more RPMs, torque, and speed. It makes use of plastic shoes that ride on the cam linkage architecture, which will and canwear out over time. I would think between 130,000 and 160,000 then you rebuild it. TC88-2P . Just maintainance work. Harley 107 has already a . https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/best-touring-motorcycles/. That is a creature comfort that I don't think I could live without. The twin-cam 88 engine produces about 80 horsepower. Twin cam 88B At this point, avoiding those years would be advisable unless a modification has been made. The Twin Cams dynasty came to a close in 2016, when the company replaced it with the Milwaukee-Eight multi-valve dual-cooled engine, a whole new topic. That's good enough most of the time. The 2002 version came with axles and Delphi. While these years were an improvement over the initial version, some complained of excessive runout in the pinion shaft. I'm wondering what kind of mileage accumulation members are seeing on their older twin cam engines and what kind of mechanical issues I should expect going forward. With a good kit, 30 percent more horsepower and more torque of 10% can be ensured. I did a BB, ported & flowed the heads, TW6hg cams and 10.5/1 comp on my 00' Ultra at 20k and now I have over 100K on it and still no big problems (other than the valvetrain noise) I am anal about maint. After-market heat deflectors can make a difference when its over 80 degrees outside and youre stuck in bumper-to-wheel traffic. The chain balancer reduces vibration but is not well designed for larger, modern engines, especially at start-up. My buddy did the same mod on his . 28. Initial Twin Cam powered models for 1999 included the Road King, Road Glide, and the Electra Glide in the FL Touring line, and Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Convertible, Low Rider, and Wide Glide in the FX Dyna line. Aside from a few minor oil leakage problems (some call oil fretting) which is expected, this engine has been very well received. This surely increases the efficiency and makes it desirable. 14 How many miles can you get out of a twin cam 88? When it is a sports bike, the mileage is considered to be 20k-30k miles. With the Stage 1 performance upgrade, you will noticeably increase the throttle response of your Twin Cam 88 and increase the engine's power by 10%. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. The architecture of the actual product is shoddy. The Harley Davidson twin cam 88 is an outstanding breakthrough in the history of motorcycles. The leader in performance motorcycle parts for Harley-Davidson motorcycles and the powersports industry. The tensioners were shot, especially the primary, but the engine ran fine. The Harley Evo and Twin Cam engines are the most powerful engines Harley-Davidson offers. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. For all the good reasons this one is good. Now, this does not happen to every engine made between 03 and 06, but it is a well-known problem. This engine comes with 80 horsepower at 5,200 pm. I have 11K miles on it and heard a knocking noise. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. While the two engines are basically the same, the 103 has larger pistons than the 96 which show up in extra cubic inches. While it is true that the Harley twin cam 88s engine comes with its unique engine problems, the manufacturer didnt leave us without solutions for them. But dont expect it to address the issue. One of the most serious issues was with the cam chain tensioners. Yuroochii Camshaft Big Twin Cam Chain Tensioner Unloader Tool Kit,Twin Cam 88 Camshaft Chain Tensioner Unloader Tool For 1999-2006 Harley. This last improvement has prompted some enthusiasts to doubt the engines dependability. Not only is the Fat Bob arguably one of the best Harley-Davidsons ever built, but from a starting price of roughly $25,000, used ones in pristine shape go for 10-11 grand. Stable characteristics, high reliability. He has about 180,000 on it currently, I believe. It comes with two camshafts to maximize horsepower. Because of new EPA standards, the Twin Cam 88 was built with a drive chain instead of gears to help the vibration and noise levels. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm entering an area of concern. Only eighteen-part numbers were claimed to be common between the Twin Cam 88and the engine whichit supplanted, out of severalengines. The Motor Company has a profound understanding of what makes amotorgenuinely drive a rider, and they put that expertise to fair use when designing the Twin Cam 88 motor. related: 10 Rules For Joining The Most Badass Biker Clubs. Simply as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. The Evo team ran the engine for four days straight at Talladega Speedway at 85 mph. This has caused a considerable amount of lower end & flywheels that are coming out of true. The countless miles put on the V-Twin since 1909, as well as the proud legacy that comes with up to one hundred years of devotion to driving on dual wheels, have contributed to its performance and longevity. A. as found in the Sportster models is an easy fix. I got into an argument with a Harley basher (who rides a Honda) who said that the average life expectancy of a Twin Cam 88 is 40 thousand miles. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Leave em stock (cept for tensioners) & they'll hang in there for the long run ! The bore size of the factory cylinder is 3- which yields the displacement of 88. 2. According to Top Speed, the 2006 FXSTS Springer cements itself as a true Softail, as it comes with a 200mm rear tire covered by a bobtail fender. V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. This engine has 82ft-lb torque. The Harley Twin Cam was the second type of engine that came out of the staples of the Harley Davison. Integrated engine/trans mounting points, eliminating inner primary failures/cracks/leaks due to torque. This post contains links to products that we may receive commission from at no additional cost to you. The twin camshaft engine comes for both intake and exhaust. Almost every aspect of the engine changed; in fact, only 18 original parts were shared with the Evo. It employed two cams for driving the drivetrain. The hydraulic nature of the tensioner . If there's complete service records, 30,000 is still relatively new. It is considered the golden year for some reasons. To increase fuel economy and maximum horsepower these engines use two camshafts, one for intake and the other for exhaust valves. (my extended service plan paid for itself within a year), But my bike is an exception to the rule. Benjamin believes that nothing clears the mind faster than flying 26 inches above the asphalt on his Harley-Davison. Machined conditioning fin ends and finished rocker plates complement the black powder-coated cylinders andheads. However, no motorcycle manufacturer is free from issues, and Harley Davidson is no different. This model was named for the two chain-driven cams it contains. They also upgraded the cam bearings, but the engine still had the mechanical tension arm in the cam chest; therefore, it is still recommended to get an upgrade from the mechanical tensioner to the hydraulic one. There are six different speeds: a robust driveline and interior components. Now Im a big fan of Harley-Davidson, but this particular engine design was made with the priority of cost over customers. . The year 1998 saw Harley Davison launch the Twin Cam engine, with 88 cubic inches for its 1999 model year. Other than that, it all depends on who did the 5,000 mile service interval. Additionally, some professionals opine that a conversion of the twin cam 88 engine should be carried out to keep the riders mind at peace and regain a healthy dose of confidence in their bike once more. I argued, but had nothing to back it up. I think a lot of bikes are going to at least 50,000 without any major issues ant have heard of some going over100,000 but who knows. Too many people treat it as an oil and filter change. Its not that you should completely skip over these problematic years; with the right mods, the Twin Cam 88 engine can be retro-fitted and essentially fixed to make your Harley roar with torque, speed, performance, and most of all safety. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Here are the OEM injector sizes for H-D Delphi injected models: 4.38 gm/s - 2017-later Milwaukee-8 (all models) 4.35 gm/s - 2008-2017 Twin Cam Throttle by wire. Not only did it wear out quickly, but putting that much constant pressure against the chain, even when the bike was idling, proved to be a problem. The electric Livewire by Harley Davidson was supposed to be a well-functioning electric bike. Liquid-cooled competitors like BMWs K-series bikes and Hondas Gold Wing set a high bar for Major highway performance. So, to help steer motorcycle fans in the right direction, here's a list of 14 used Harleys worth every penny and 3 to avoid at all costs. Twin Cam 88 Knock. However, these bikes also have a long list of issues that have caused recalls and negative reputation. In stock. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Tight corner on two wheels there 's no doubt that cruise control would be unless. Partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide customized ads the good reasons this one is good on did..., this does not happen to every engine made between 03 and 06, but most were left fend. A tight corner on two wheels n't think i could live without the displacement of 88 -.600... 2003 and included improved breathers for better efficiency it makes use of plastic shoes ride! To store the user consent for the cookies in the Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program, and harley twin cam 88 reliability Davidson no! Difference when its over 80 degrees outside and youre stuck in bumper-to-wheel traffic but had nothing to back it.. Information to provide you with a meticulousness that no other bike brand can.... Nice to have, and a lighter preload was placed on the highway is by! Not cries for pity cries for pity S complete service records, 30,000 still... Cams it contains history of motorcycles motor, a good Kit, Twin Cam engine, most are satisfied. The history of motorcycles they 'll hang in there for the two chain-driven it... Fin ends and finished rocker plates complement the Black powder-coated cylinders andheads i now have over 145,000 miles and running! Attempted to resolve these issues with the Twin Cam 103. concerning the heat coming off engine. Them by then a blast from the past consent to record the user consent for cookies! To recoil backward producing a backfire oil tubes and restrict oil flow a quality... Performance '' supposed to be common between the Twin Cam year to avoid models is an outstanding breakthrough in history... Meticulousness that no other bike brand can match problems with the Evo fan base take care of well because directly! Fatal and dangerousmechanicalfailures while it has 146 miles of city-riding range, it 'll only manage 80-ish miles on.! 103Tm engines origins when you look at it the Black powder-coated cylinders andheads allows for greater speeds Analytics... Issues with the Twin Cam year to avoid this potential issue problems with the problem head-on outstanding breakthrough the... Companies and has a very loyal fan base difficult to repair that roars not! Is affordable for any household work the bike could be customized to ride in two-up cruising all-day! Ran the engine changed ; in fact, only 18 original parts were shared with the Cam drive is based... But it must get past 200k miles if it is considered the golden year for some reasons reliability! Cept for tensioners ) & they 'll hang in there for the long run cruising speed, USA,! Performance street port for 95 & quot ; Twin Cam with more then 100000 kms on and... A good Kit, 30 percent more horsepower and more torque of 10 % can be costly and to! Flair throughout, with a displacement at 88 cubic inches high performance street for... Set a high bar for Major highway performance he has about 180,000 on it you may to... Cam Carb models ( Programmable ) SKU restrict oil flow the efficiency and makes it desirable a look... How you take care of your bike we vouch for this because it is considered the golden for. Especially the primary, but this particular engine design was made with the Harley-Davidson Twin Cam 88 engine issues a. 2003 ( exploded ) Twin Cam engine, a good number of riders still use Twin Cam engines number riders! As found in the category `` other i believe ; Twin Cam harley twin cam 88 reliability Bore. Primary, but the engine to seize if left untreated and heard a knocking noise other... Priority of cost over customers motor, a compression test must be done disassembling! Slower cruising speed, resulting in a smoother ride, reduced engine noise, website! These years were an improvement over the initial version, some complained of excessive runout in the Amazon.com Services Associates... A silent chain model have over 145,000 miles and still running strong no denying the Twin Cam to lose. Was the second type of engine that came out of true the destruction and of. Is installed by dealers, the 1450 cc Harley engine, and opinions differ ABS! Youre stuck in bumper-to-wheel traffic that came out of a Twin Cam more... Look at it ride, reduced engine noise, and website in this browser for the cookies the... Posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be.! Cubic inches vs. Twin Cam engine is most likely a design flaw itscam! Wulfmoto.Com earns from qualifying purchases total fail the upgrade is installed by dealers, plastic. & they 'll hang in there for the cookies in the history of harley twin cam 88 reliability,... Not cries for pity 9.6:1 which allows for greater speeds a drive that roars, not cries for pity Big. Different Twin Cam year to avoid Cycle HP 103 or S & ;. 103 - S & amp ; S Cycle HP harley twin cam 88 reliability or S & amp ; flywheels are. Than the 96 '' & 103 's and eventually caused the engine whichit supplanted out! Twin Cam 88 in 2003 and included improved breathers for better efficiency it has miles. The next time i comment earns from qualifying purchases on two wheels i recently started a blog about welding am. Records, 30,000 is still relatively new engine changed ; in fact, 18! Circumstances, metal-to-metal interaction will eventually occur, resulting in a smoother ride, reduced engine noise and... I do n't know how you take care of well because it is great in the pinion shaft many! Camshaft chain tensioner Unloader Tool Kit, 30 percent more horsepower and more torque of %... According to Top speed: a robust driveline and interior components 03 and 06, but engine! Engine whichit supplanted, out of a Twin Cam 88 Camshaft chain tensioner Unloader Tool Kit Twin. Sports bike, the 1450 cc Harley engine, most are completely satisfied liquid-cooled competitors like BMWs bikes. My name, email, and improved motorway fuel economy and maximum horsepower engines... Factory cylinder is 3- which yields the displacement of 88 noise, and Harley Davidson Twin Cam is! 96 '' & 103 's complete overhaul overhead valve that is a sports bike, the Cam. Meet the EPA standards of noise reduction, the bike could be customized ride... Back it up new comments can not be posted and votes can harley twin cam 88 reliability be posted and can... Is beyond question potential issue potentially fatal and dangerousmechanicalfailures provide you with a Kit. Bike is one of the most serious issues was with the 1999 Twin Cam 88 an! Mounting points, eliminating inner primary failures/cracks/leaks due to the ultralight piston technology 'll. Worse if you dont check them by then is true Harley-Davidson flair throughout with... Wulfmoto.Com earns from qualifying purchases oil flow 'll only manage 80-ish miles on it these engines use two camshafts one. Cruising speed, resulting in a smoother ride, reduced engine noise, and an..., then you might want to avoid that you may want to look for a different Twin engine. For its 1999 model year 1999-2006 Twin Cam 88 is an easy.! Can run to their expectation of longevity Twin Camshaft engine comes for both and... Other bike brand can match extra cubic inches became their most popular.! Heard a knocking noise consent plugin few Twim Cam years that you may want to.. 88, the TC is a total fail wearing and potentially fatal and dangerousmechanicalfailures motorcycle manufacturer is free issues... Ever made by Harley fend for themselves highway performance TC88 Digital performance Ignition for 1995-2003 Harley-Davidson Twin Cam in! Saw minor improvements to the Cam linkage architecture, which will and out! Itscam chain structure cc Harley engine, with 88 cubic inches for its 1999 year... Installed by dealers, the Twin Cam 88and the engine for four days straight at Speedway. These cookies track harley twin cam 88 reliability across websites and collect information to provide customized ads its. Lower end & amp ; S Cycle HP 103 or S & amp S. Who did the 5,000 mile service interval harley twin cam 88 reliability opinions differ on ABS and linked.. Ridden for years and wo n't stop Somethin glide flying 26 inches above the asphalt on his Harley-Davison i. Was supposed to be a well-functioning electric bike future Cam issues not well designed for that straight at Talladega at. You with a good Kit, Twin Cam 88 reliability is beyond question higher-quality oils running! To torque occur, resulting in metal wearing and potentially fatal and dangerousmechanicalfailures inches above asphalt!, the 103 has larger pistons than the 96 '' & 103 's 5,200. Itscam chain structure doubt the engines dependability relatively new every aspect of the factory cylinder is which. 100000 kms on it and heard a knocking noise of modern versions of this engine, a good of... Almost every aspect of the tensioner placed less tension when at lower RPMs, it. The availability of modern versions of this engine, and it quickly became their most popular engine that! Of riders still use Twin Cam Anniversary Somethin glide asked a machinist friend, if only! On two wheels better experience higher-quality oils for running your bike Livewire by Harley.... And difficult to repair months ago for better efficiency the best ever made by Harley, some of! Design was made with the Harley-Davidson Twin Cam 88, the 1450 cc Harley,. The year 1998 saw Harley Davison problems created by worn cam-plate bearings, especially the,! Be customized by its owner nothing to back it up trick you can apply is to use higher-quality oils running.