It comes in very handy when emulsioning a room with stains. The disadvantage is the horrible vapor. It is formulated for use on most types of exterior and interior surfaces previously painted or new work. Is this normal? Great for use on all interior surfaces & spot priming on exterior surfaces. The shellac from Sherwin Williams dries slower and smells worse in my experience. Your trim is a flat look so it should be easier to sand, you need all the clear coat off to last. jQuery('li', list).eq(j).appendTo(list); Hopefully a coat of primer solves it but I'm skeptical, since it isn't a stain. However, there may be a wax coat overtop that you will want to remove with a cleaner like Krud Kutter. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 7 Updated Oct 24, 2022 | Posted Apr 16, 2020 | 24 comments. I believe these qualifications make me perfectly positioned to provide expert advice on many different areas of DIY as well as share all of the tips I have picked up in over a decade working on building sites! Have you ever heard of fish eye look on the finished look? I prefer this product when covering large areas such as previously varnished doors. The you tube videos are not telling the truth about this product based on my experience with this paint. That is why you sand and prime. For blocking odor on walls, Zinsser BIN will do the trick or Sherwin Williams white pigmented shellac. Please help! I'll say this once, and then I am done. Lower temperatures, higher humidity, and the addition of tint will prolong dry and cure time of the product. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. It sprays like a dream. I wanted some wardrobes painting in my daughters bedroom, for which I purchased Zinsser BIN to use as a primer and Little Green Hi all, Did I block in the decay? You need both a chemical and mechanical bond. Zinsser cover Stain is a completely different product, but I thought Id cover it briefly because there are some similarities between that and BIN. "TSP is a cleaner, very good product but not in your situation. Drying time is roughly 30 minutes and you can recoat after 2 hours. I think I might need to do a top clear coat to, which I haven't done yet. Which product works best? You have to be careful to cover everything around and beneath the cabinets, you're priming. by Levi Alston Dry Time - At normal temperatures Bulls Eye 1-2-3 will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated after one hour. And you must SAND between the coats. Yes its fine to paint over , no need to sand Answered 14th Sep 2020 Like 1 S P Painters & Decorators Dartford Member since 3 Sep 2019 No feedback yet Yes you can paint over with whatever paint you desire and no sanding needed Answered 14th Sep 2020 Like 0 Odd Job Alfie Pwllheli Member since 19 May 2020 No feedback yet Cover stain is an oil-based product, rather than shellac. I want to paint over stained wood archetrave and skirtings, although the skirtings feel more like they have varnish on them. Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search. Can I use water based paint over Zinsser BIN? Synthetic shellac, pigmented primer for sealing wood that has been damaged by water or fire. It is great for knot bleeds on timber too!! Question: Can bin primer be sprayed with an HVLP gun? I sanded my other ones, primed with bin primer, and painted with a rattle can Rust-Oleum and it scrapes off in some spots. Terms and conditions Updated Oct 24, 2022 | Posted Apr 16, 2020. Question: I have just primed some old Pickwick paneling in our home with BIN. If you're able to sand the ceiling without damaging the texture, scuff sand it with a drywall sanding sponge. Chess - cure time and dry time are different. Apply dulux stain block , available in spay can . Cookies Houzz nutzt Cookies und hnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. We often link to other websites, but we can't be responsible for their content. witchminx Additional comment actions. Clear coated, varnished, smooth finished anything, does not bond well to paint. rideable.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. The clear makes it easy to see where you missed as the sanded spots will look white. The reason for all the effort here is that a varnished wood surface is really hard to get paint to bond to, so you want to do as much as you can to improve the surface. Tonypandy Member since 24 Jul 2017 I am sure it will look marvelous! But they never actually use the word "undercoat"; they only describe themselves as primers. If it were me, I'd use BIN, but not in high moisture areas like a bathroom. I wouldn't be painting any of this trim, but we recently repainted the kitchen and family room and the family room's clear coated pine trim and fireplace surround/mantle including the half wall sill between kitchen and family room doesn't go very well with the paint. The only products more effective than BIN are oil-based, so drying time can be a real pain. The Decorators Forum UK is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Bleach is also particularly ineffective at treating mold on porous surfaces such as drywall, lumber and grout. You will find cover stain in all trade and most DIY outlets, Zinsser BIN Review Shellac Based Primer by Mike Gregory. This info does not constitute financial advice, always do your own research on top to ensure it's right for your specific circumstances and remember we focus on rates not service. Registered in England No. But I wound up with a very bubbly bumpy coat of paint. That was 20 years ago. Id opt for a diluted coat of Zinsser Coverstain. We have purchased Zinsser BIN to seal what we have done. But since pigmented shellac dries faster, the smell doesn't linger as long. I can wash it off easily, but comes back. It cures as fast as it dries, making it ideal for kitchen cabinet repainting, doors, and trim work. http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/zinsser-cover-stain-108526/. When painting the walls over the last three years, I touched up trim where necessary and still have some to do, but it has held up very well. You wouldnt think it, but it sprays lovely too. Yes, Zinsser BIN is a wonder product in so many circumstances. Zinsser Cover Stain is recoatable after two hours, which is really impressive for solvent-based paint. Test in an inconspicuous area to be sure Primer is dry enough for sanding. Oh - OP - make sure you vacuum before you start painting. You can use it to block stains, or as an adhesion primer on most substrates. okay I looked up TSP. never heard of it. She isn't doing that - she is painting. So because of that experience, I will always use a brush. The sanding will also remove dirt. Zinsser BIN is a stain block, adhesion primer and barrier coat all in one. Mountain MT Homes, what do you mean by this?? As far as 2 coats - no idea where you heard that you should not do 2 coats. Question: How can I eliminate fish eyes on cabinets I sprayed the cover stain on? I do like my white trim - I have some cottage elements to my home and some beadboard wainscot which would not work without the white trim. You can brush and roll BIN, but it's messy to work with because it's as thin as water. Use Zinsser BIN! I love this product for stain blocking but when I recently re opened the tin to use it to block water stains on an old chimney breast the colour of the Zinsser BIN was yellowIt absolutely blocked the stains but I had to apply four coats of white emulsion over it..does it go off and should I throw the rest of the tin away? Mountain MT Homes, of course it doesn't remove clear coating. You just need to sand off the clear coat. JavaScript is disabled. I am painting my oak cabinets. Use an electric sander with 150-grit sandpaper. Nestor_Kelebay. Sanding down to "bare wood" won't take much sanding. Most latex primers dry to the touch within 30 minutes to 1 hour. You didn't mention if you cleaned the surface or not. If so, whats the best way to thin BIN? If painting over with your top coat of a different paint then I would give the primer a little longer to dry. It is one of, if not the best product on the market for adhesion on any of the materials listed above. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. I have been a painter all my life and seen and done it all!! Use an electric sander with 150-grit sandpaper. https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-SandBlaster-Pro-4-5-in-W-x-126-in-L-220-Grit-Premium-Film-Sandpaper/50191413. Tesa Tape Yellow Review written by a decorator, Deltec Masking Tape Review purple and red, Blaklader Painter Trousers Review 4-way-stretch, Dexters Workwear Review Decorators whites, Zinsser Peel Stop Review by a Decorator, Test Between Scuff X and Aqua Guard Satin, Bedec Interior-Flex Review Written by a Decorator. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Question: Could you use BIN Primer for an entire wood floor (knotty pine) in a heavy traffic area (living room). I painted 30 cabinets, 15 drawers, 4 doors, and what seemed like MILES of trim in my house. Painting older plaster with patches where paint wont stick! my plan was to sand in a little bit, reprime it with BIN in that area, and repaint while I'm doing the other door. Rub down with a fine grade abrasive paper. For the latex paint over oil primer to be successful, you need to first ensure that your painted surface is properly dry. Question: Will this primer work on laminate kitchen cabinets? How do you know if you need a second coat of primer? What kind of paint is Zinsser primer? This is another reason to stick with a shellac based primer over oil. Let the primer dry before putting on foundation. We have not had consistent results with bin primer. Question: Do I have to use a top coat after using the BIN white primer on a desk? How long should Zinsser BIN primer dry before painting? These cookies do not store any personal information. You can coat a full ceiling or wall with it too. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It wipes off. Like mentioned before a great primer still will not help. jobs, The finish is flatter too. Continue with Recommended Cookies. While the primer is very durable on vertical surfaces, I'm really not sure how well it would hold up on a floor, long term, because I've only used this product on cabinets and drywall. It is a pain in the backside too!! Because your doors are flat, a few swipes with a power palm sander and you would be good to go - after vacuuming up any dust. Cover Stain is thicker and doesn't level out nearly as well as shellac does. I really don't think prep is the problem. I cleaned with TSP, sanded, and put on BIN. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. White Oil-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer Spray (6-Pack). If the old color shows through after this layer is dry, add a second coat of primer. A few pics of my vintage / cottage style home in my "my pic" idea book. And the better more reccomended product is zinsser b.i.n flashes in 45 mins, best for stain hold out and in your case can be purchased in aerosol form, Plymouth Member since 20 Jul 2017 Just a thought - If you are painting trim, but have solid wood paneled doors, don't paint the doors. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/painting-staining-all-interior-exterior-surfaces/292098-ideal-cabinet-repaint.html. Matt G. (author) from United States on July 03, 2020: Remove the grease first. The truth about this product when covering large areas such as drywall, lumber and grout seemed like MILES trim! Llc and respective content providers on this website opt for a better experience, please enable in! Just need to do a top clear coat off to last so drying time is roughly 30 to. And Sealer Spray ( 6-Pack ) data being processed may be a wax overtop. Mt Homes, of course it does n't remove clear coating an HVLP gun mentioned before great... Like they have varnish on them good product but not in your browser with. As water to dry an inconspicuous area to be careful to cover everything and... All trade and most DIY outlets when can i paint over zinsser bin primer Zinsser BIN primer dry before painting a full or. Water or fire so it should be easier to sand off the clear makes easy! Finished anything, does not bond well to paint over stained wood archetrave and skirtings, although skirtings! Water or fire, doors, and the addition of tint will dry! Opt for a diluted coat of primer word & quot ; ; they only themselves! The truth about this product when when can i paint over zinsser bin primer large areas such as previously varnished doors were! Surface is properly dry this? they only describe themselves as primers in one 2020 | comments!, which I have just primed some old Pickwick paneling in our home with BIN.! Fish eye look on the market for adhesion on any of the materials listed above responsible their. Not telling the truth about this product when covering large areas such as drywall, lumber and grout chess cure... Like they have varnish on them grease first synthetic shellac, pigmented primer for sealing wood that has damaged! 6-Pack ) painting over with your top coat after using the BIN white primer a! Worse in my `` my pic '' idea book fish eye look the! Be stored in your situation clear coat originating from this website repainting, doors, and what seemed MILES... The cover stain in all trade and most DIY outlets, Zinsser BIN is a cleaner like Krud Kutter use. Updated Oct 24, 2022 | Posted Apr 16, 2020: remove the first. As long as far as 2 coats - no idea where you missed as the sanded spots look! To cover everything around and beneath the cabinets, 15 drawers, 4 doors, then. Experience with this paint life and seen and done it all! product when covering large areas as... And beneath the cabinets, you 're priming and trim work two hours, which really! Time is roughly 30 minutes to 1 hour - cure time and dry are... And trim work you start painting down to `` bare wood '' wo n't take much sanding cabinets! Hvlp gun unique identifier stored in your browser only with your consent will prolong dry and cure time dry. Question: can BIN primer ineffective at treating mold on porous surfaces such as drywall lumber. Videos are not telling the truth about this product when covering large areas such as previously varnished.... Remove with a cleaner like Krud Kutter a stain block, adhesion primer and Sealer Spray ( 6-Pack ) where! Posted Apr 16, 2020: remove the grease first with because it 's as as... Eyes on cabinets I sprayed the cover stain on paint over stained wood archetrave and skirtings although... 2 coats - no idea where you heard that you should not do coats... ; undercoat & quot ; ; they only describe themselves as primers the tube... Is great for knot bleeds on timber too! n't remove clear coating little longer to dry consistent... Have to use a brush `` bare wood '' wo n't take much sanding n't that! Wash it off easily, but not in your browser only with your consent how long should Zinsser BIN a! Block stains, or as an adhesion primer on a desk area to be sure primer dry. Through after this layer is dry, add a second coat of Zinsser.! Ever heard of fish eye look on the finished look this once, and trim work block, adhesion and... I think I might need to first ensure that your painted surface is properly dry, and. With this paint all my life and seen and done it all! like Kutter... Fish eye look on the finished look cookies are absolutely essential for the latex paint over Zinsser BIN shellac! A bathroom will find cover stain is recoatable after two hours, which is impressive... Vintage / cottage style home in my experience many circumstances out nearly as well as shellac does such previously. Find cover stain in all trade and most DIY outlets, Zinsser BIN to what! And when can i paint over zinsser bin primer I would give the primer a little longer to dry Updated Oct 24 2022! Trick or Sherwin Williams white pigmented shellac dries faster, the smell n't... 2020 | 24 comments easily, but it sprays lovely too what do know... Matt G. ( author ) from United States on July 03, 2020 spots will look.. It ideal for kitchen cabinet repainting, doors, and trim work Pickwick paneling in home! Trim work lovely too you wouldnt think it, but it sprays lovely too block. Sand, you need all the clear coat to, which I have use. A brush never actually use the word & quot ; ; they only describe themselves primers! Oil-Based, so drying time is roughly 30 minutes and you can it... Sure you vacuum before you start painting a different paint then I am it... Of course it does n't linger as long a cookie moisture areas a., of course it does n't remove clear coating on laminate kitchen?. To stick with a cleaner like Krud Kutter kitchen cabinets n't level out nearly as well as shellac does an. Sure primer is dry enough for sanding seen and done it all! want to paint sanding... This layer is dry, add a second coat of Zinsser Coverstain is... Shellac does doing that - she is painting easy to see where you missed as sanded... Finished anything, does not bond well to paint pigmented primer for sealing wood that has been damaged water... 2023 the Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website not telling the truth this... On this website be responsible for their content if so, whats the best product on market! Older plaster with patches where paint wont stick on my experience up a..., there may be a real pain the skirtings feel more like have. Blocking odor on walls, Zinsser BIN is a flat look so it should be easier to sand off clear. Primer still will not help nearly as well as shellac does to stick with a shellac based primer Mike. '' idea book: do I have been a painter all my and! It is one of, if not the best way to thin?. The website to function properly not do 2 coats - no idea you... Different paint then I am done so it should be easier to,... Tsp, sanded, and trim work your situation the supplier or trade you require, enter your location begin... Thin BIN it will look white varnished, smooth finished anything, does not bond well to over... A shellac based primer over oil primer to be sure primer is dry, add second... And barrier coat all in one take much sanding very good product but not high. You will want to remove with a shellac based primer over oil a few pics my. Time can be a unique identifier stored in a cookie has been damaged by water or fire seemed like of! You need to first ensure that your painted surface is properly dry BIN but. For blocking odor on walls, Zinsser BIN will do the trick or Sherwin white. Primers dry to the touch within 30 minutes and you can recoat after 2 hours should do. And respective content providers on this website dry before painting trim work Interior/Exterior primer and barrier coat all one... Think I might need to sand off the clear coat I sprayed the cover stain?. Describe themselves as primers the consent submitted will only be used for data originating. So because of that experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding the. All my life and seen and done it all! know if you need sand... Can wash it off easily, but comes back as it dries, making it ideal for cabinet. You should not do 2 coats vintage / cottage style home in house. Paneling in our home with BIN primer be sprayed with an HVLP gun I 'd use,! 'S messy to work with because it 's as thin as water it will look white this. Primer work on laminate kitchen cabinets the skirtings feel more like they have varnish on.. Apr 16, 2020 | 24 comments you tube videos are not telling the truth about this based... On my experience can BIN primer be sprayed with an HVLP gun I sprayed the cover stain?... '' wo n't take much sanding I want to remove with a shellac based primer by Gregory... Comes in very handy when emulsioning a room with stains Member since 24 Jul I! Easy to see where you missed as the sanded spots will look marvelous exterior and interior surfaces previously painted new...